London’s life sciences sector is a shining jewel and a cornerstone of the city’s economy. With a rich history of achievements and medical firsts, the sector employs more than 21,000 in private sector industry, hospitals and research facilities including more than 2,000 researchers.
- London is home to diverse areas of research and expertise developed at facilities including Robarts Research Institute, CSTAR – The Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics Centre, Lawson Health Research Institute, The National Research Council of Canada, and The London Regional Cancer Program.
Researchers at Western University, with support from Sumagen Canada, are involved in the development of the first and only preventative HIV vaccine
- CSTAR is one of only eight training centres in the world for da Vinci Surgical Systems, which trains and certifies surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures
- London’s Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization, a 50,000 square foot facility located at Western's Research Park provides support and services for early stage companies and provides incubation space for start-ups
- Trudell Medical International is a world leader in aerosol drug delivery devices and units for the management of respiratory conditions including Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Recently, the company unveiled its latest product – Aerobika – that sends vibrations into the patient's lungs to help clear congestion in conditions like COPD
- The Centre for Imaging Technology Commercialization (CIMTEC) was created to facilitate and accelerate the commercialization of world-leading medical imaging technology. Through technology development services, clinical prototypes for medical imaging startups are built and tested
- The Brain and Mind Institute at Western University has a roster of internationally recognized faculty members dedicated to promoting the understanding of cognitive sciences through research and collaboration
- The Fowler Kennedy Sports Medicine Centre is internationally recognized as a premier facility for sport & exercise medicine providing the highest quality of care for all patients, including elite athletes
Western offers programs ranging from Bioengineering, Biology, Biochemistry to Nursing. The Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry extends post-graduate training and opportunities in life sciences. Key areas of excellence include Biomedical Imaging, Oncology, MusuloSkeletal Health, CardioVascular, Respiratory Health and Metabolic Diseases; Infection and Immunity, Maternal, Fetal, Child and Family Health; Neuroscience and Mental Health.
Fanshawe offers a wide variety of educational options including diploma programs ranging from Anaesthesia Assistant to Science Laboratory Technician as well as certification programs for a variety of industrial clients. Fanshawe College also offers an applied Degree in Biotechnology, a leading degree program that provides opportunities in areas including pharmaceutical and medical devices.
Life Sciences Employers
GAMMA-DYNACARE MEDICAL LABORATORIES